The Rode VideoMic NTG gives video content creators, run-and-gun filmmakers, voiceover artists, and podcasters the sound of the highly regarded NTG shotguns in a convenient camera-mount mic that requires no additional adapters to work with cameras, smartphones, tablets, portable recorders, and USB-equipped computers.
With focused directivity, continuously variable gain, digitally switched tone controls, and an internal USB-rechargeable battery, the VideoMic NTG provides transparent sonic performance and immensely flexible functionality. Thanks to its aerospace-grade aluminum housing, the VideoMic NTG is durable, compact, and lightweight, making it equally at home atop a camera or on a boompole.
The auto-sensing 3.5mm TRRS output and included TRRS cable ensure compatibility with cameras, portable recorders, mobile devices, and computers—no adapters required. A peak warning light, a -20 dB pad, and the selectable -20 dB safety channel help you easily avoid distortion in your recordings. When used as a USB microphone, the 3.5mm jack functions as a stereo headphone output for real-time monitoring of your signal.
Thanks to firmware version 2.0, the VideoMic NTG is now MFi-certified for use with Lightning-equipped Apple iOS mobile devices (iPhone, iPad, and iPod) when paired with the Rode SC15 USB Type-C to Lightning accessory cable (available separately).
Technology Ported from the NTG5
Directional Sound Pickup
- The VideoMic NTG's body features acoustic perforations rather than the linear slots traditionally used in shotgun microphones. This annular line tube technology was ported from Rode's NTG5 to deliver transparency and a natural, uncolored sound.
Extensive Device Compatibility
- The VideoMic NTG utilizes a supercardioid polar pattern to focus on sound in front of it while attenuating sound from the sides and rear. Its low-noise electronics and sensitive condenser element deliver more detailed audio than the mics typically found in cameras and portable recorders. Since it is even more sensitive than the VideoMic Pro+ model, it requires less gain to achieve an equivalent signal level.
Full USB Microphone Functionality
- Simply connect the VideoMic NTG to your camera, portable recorder, or mobile device via the included TRRS cable. The VideoMic NTG's auto-sensing 3.5mm TRRS output automatically switches between TRS and TRRS as necessary, so you won't need additional adapter cables. The 3.5mm jack is wired in a dual-mono configuration, ensuring that the mic signal is sent identically to both input channels of your recording device.
Convenient Headphone Monitoring
- Plug the VideoMic NTG into your computer, smartphone, or tablet via USB to use it as a digital USB microphone for direct recording to your favorite software. Its integrated analog-to-digital converter operates at 24-bit / 48 kHz to provide full-resolution, uncompressed audio quality.
- MFi-Certified for Apple iOS Mobile Devices
- As of firmware version 2.0, the VideoMic NTG is officially MFi-certified, unlocking complete compatibility with Lightning-equipped iOS devices, including iPhone, iPad, and iPod. Plug your VideoMic NTG into your iPhone, iPad, or iPod via USB with the Rode SC15 USB Type-C to Lightning accessory cable (available separately), unleashing the full potential of the mic, including:
- Headphone monitoring with complete volume control using the variable output knob
- Two-way audio transmission for making video calls
- Access to the safety channel, which creates a second output at -20 dB in case the main channel distorts
- High-quality 24-bit / 48 kHz digital audio conversion
Bass Roll-Off and Treble Boost
- When using the VideoMic NTG as a USB microphone, plug your headphones into its 3.5mm output for convenient stereo headphone monitoring. Control the headphone volume via the gain knob on the bottom of the mic.
- -20 dB Pad and Continuously Variable Gain
- To enable effortless optimization of recording levels for any device, the VideoMic NTG boasts a continuously variable gain control and a helpful audio peak warning light. Whether you need mic level, line level, headphone level, or something in between, the right level is available at the turn of a knob. Press the dedicated button for the -20 dB pad to quickly lower the level when loud sound sources threaten to distort your recording.
Selectable Safety Channel
- The high-pass filter can be set to 75 Hz or 150 Hz to roll off low-frequency noise from common sources such as air conditioners and traffic. Knowing that intelligibility is crucial, Rode outfitted the VideoMic NTG with a selectable high-frequency boost, which enhances detail and clarity in the treble range.
When source levels get unexpectedly louder, you risk overloading the recording. By pressing the dedicated safety channel button, you can set the mic's right channel to output 20 dB lower than the left channel. This lets you record a safety channel and the main signal to your camera at the same time.
Internal Rechargeable 30-Hour Battery
The internal rechargeable lithium-ion battery offers up to 30 hours of run time and recharges via USB Type-C in about two hours. Since the VideoMic NTG can be charged while you use it, you can even simultaneously power and charge it with a USB battery pack.
Manual or Automatic Power On/Off
When connected to the mic input of a compatible camera, the VideoMic NTG automatically turns on or off in response to the presence or absence of plug-in power. As you'd expect, the mic shuts off when it detects a loss in power, either from powering off or disconnecting the camera. Plus, there is a power button for manually turning the mic on or off.
Shockmount with Sliding Rail and Cable Management
Understanding that the rubber bands used in many shockmounts can snap and stretch, Rode chose to opt for a rugged Rycote Lyre suspension-style shockmount designed for attachment to a camera or boompole. This simplifies setup of the mic and inhibits the transfer of vibrations from the camera. The shockmount's sliding rail system lets shift the position of the mic forward or backward for perfect placement. Forget about messy cabling; the built-in cable management keeps the cord run tidy.
Windscreen Minimizes Wind Noise
The VideoMic NTG includes a foam windscreen to minimize unwanted wind noise from light breezes, fans, heaters, and air conditioners. For maximum reduction of wind noise in outdoor environments, consider a furry windshield such as the optional Rode WS-11.