Here's what Sontronics say about the Mercury mic:
Our new Sontronics Mercury is a premium-quality valve/tube condenser microphone designed to sound stunning on whatever you're recording, from solo instruments, percussion and vocals to ensemble and orchestral work, overhead and room miking, voiceover and more.
Designed by Sontronics' founder Trevor Coley, and developed alongside top artists and producers as well as with the input of engineers at Abbey Road Studios, the Mercury is hand-built here in our UK Sontronics HQ.
Taking things a step on from our multi-award-winning Aria, the Sontronics Mercury employs the highest-grade components (most of which have less than 1% tolerance, unheard of for a microphone at this or any other price) and a hand-selected and tested, European-made ECC81/12AT7 vacuum tube, all of which result in absolutely impeccable results, whatever application you're using it for.
The Mercury gives you an infinite choice of polar patterns from omnidirectional to figure-of-eight and everything in between, controlled via the sweepable control knob on the front of the power supply.
The mic also has pad (0, -10dB) and low-cut filter (linear, 75Hz) controls and a professional power supply with medical-grade interference filter, and it boasts incredibly low self-noise for a valve microphone (less than 12dB, A-weighted), making this a must-have microphone for any studio serious about achieving the best quality results.
- Premium-quality valve/tube microphone
- Variable polar patterns - controlled via the sweepable control knob on power supply
- Designed to sound stunning on anything
- Ideal for vocals, pianos, strings, brass, guitars, drums, room miking, and more
- Extremely low self-noise
- -10dB pad switch, low-cut filter switch
- Employs highest-grade components
- Huge amount of depth, richness, warmth, with plenty of character and detail
- Includes bamboo box for mic, power supply, shock mount, XLR mic cable, and aluminium flightcase
- Polar Pattern: Sweepable from omni to figure-of-eight & everything in between
- Frequency Response: 20Hz - 20kHz
- Pad: 0, -10dB
- Filter: Linear, 75Hz
- Sensitivity: 18mV/Pa -33dB ±1.5dB (0dB = 1V/Pa @ 1,000Hz)
- Impedance: ?200 Ohms
- Equivalent Noise Level: <12dB (A-weighted)
- Max SPL (for 0.5 THD @ 1kHz): 125dB
- Power: 115/230V *phantom power NOT required*
- Connector: 8-pin connector (mic), 3-pin XLR-M (power supply)
- Dimensions: 250 x 90 x 80mm
- Weight: 2.3g (mic only)